Best Start Music Lessons introduce foundational musical concepts and skills to the young beginner. As well as developing musical skills and competencies, these lessons aim to foster a love of music and music making.
Originally developed for children aged 4 - 7 years, it is also a great resource for older students who may progress through the books faster, while still developing a strong musical foundation.
A comprehensive system of learning in which the students are truly engaged ensures that musical concepts are thoroughly understood, develops a solid foundation of key skills, and provides the best musical start possible.
- Engaging and interactive - many different activities including writing, drawing, colouring, movement, improvisation
- Slow paced progression to accomodate the youngest beginners
- Structured lessons provide a familiar routine
- Suitable for individual or group tuition
- Activities suitable for classroom use
- Clear format - easy for teachers to teach and easy for parents to reinforce learning at home
- Uses notes B, A and G
The skills developed in this book are readily transferable to other instruments, making the transition to new instruments and school band programs easy.
Best Start Music Lessons can be used in a variety of ways to suit individual students and teachers.
- Older students - may spend one week on each lesson.
- Younger students - may spend two weeks on each lesson.
- Teachers can choose which activities to spend more time on each week according to the flow of lessons and individual student needs.
- No need to complete all activities in one lesson before moving on to the next.
- Lessons can be repeated on multiple instruments.
- When repeating the lessons, musical skills and activities are familiar - this gives space to concentrate on tone and technique.
Best Start Music Lessons emphasizes the development of strong aural and rhythmic skills.
The methodologies of Kodaly, Orff and Dalcroze have provided inspiration for many of the activities in this book, however Best Start Music Lessons do not claim to embody any one or all of these methods. Inspiration has also been drawn from the works of author, educator and composer, Paul Harris. A list of further reading is provided on the Best Start Music website: www.beststartmusic.com.
Best Start Music Lessons aim to empower children by giving them the tools and skills to decode and analyse music easily.
Best Start Music Lessons Book 1 for Recorder, Fife, Flute
DO NOT COPY OR DISTRIBUTE WITHOUT THE PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR.
PENALTIES APPLY FOR COPYRIGHT INFRNGEMENT.
First published in 2018 by Best Start Publishing
© Sarah Broughton Stalbow, 2018
The moral rights of the author have been asserted.
All rights reserved. Except as permitted under the Australian Copyright Act 1968 (for example, a fair dealing for the purposes of study, research, criticism or review), no part of this book may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, communicated or transmitted in any form or by any means without prior written permission.
All inquiries should be made to the author.
All musical compositions by Sarah Broughton Stalbow, except for the following by Jeremy Barnett: Lesson 4: The Cake, Lesson 5: Who’s the boss?, Lesson 6: At the Disco, Lesson 7: The Dance, Lesson 8: Mr Mouse.
Cover art and text design by Sarah Broughton Stalbow, editing by Rob Stalbow.